alex tomb – process part 280
First of all I would like to thank Rayna and Rossella for the invitation in contributing to these great series.
I had this idea for the last year, to create a mix with no kick drums at all, however still containing rhythm and progression. I have been collecting all kind of music for the last 2-3 years, like tools, ambiences, bass lines, bleeps, and acapellas. So this invitation was a great opportunity to present this mix. The result was a non 4/4 beats mix, full of emotion, patience, and moments of truth.
The mix is quite different from what I play usually. It’s a home listening experience that consists of lineal curves of energy, emotion, and aggression that fade in and out slowly. It goes up and down to different places and moods. Personally, I like sad and melancholic music. I didn’t have to keep the crowd dancing as in a club environment, so this mix reflects exactly my taste in music and the way it should be felt.
The mix was done with Ableton Live and a mouse. Advanced non-linear way of recoding achieves perfection and technical details that are not possible when recording a mix in one go, unless the person doing it has twelve hands and kept notes on timing and changes after a lot of trying!
I had a lot of music that i wanted to include in the mix, which is so beautiful when listened untouched. So I left aside complex techniques of mixing, and let the music play as naturally as possible. Thanks to digital formats, internet, and usb car radios there is no duration limit anymore to 80 minutes as on a CD. So I extended the mix to its maximum potential in order to include as much of the great music I had.
Inspiration and creativity comes from you heart and soul, so I don’t believe that the place where you live matters much, as long as you have the right tools with you. What makes the difference is also the personal taste, way of thinking, and beliefs of the artist on how music should be delivered to the listeners. However, the psychological state of mind and the experiences in life at the moment of creation can alter significantly the outcome.
Thank you again for letting my imagination and thoughts to fly around freely!
01. Ø – Asuntola
02. Ø – Dayak
03. Steve Reich – Come out
04. Ricardo Villalobos and Max Loderbauer – Rekondakion
05. Oni Ayhun – OAR001-B
06. Steve Reich – Piano phase
07. Mika Vainio – Leslie
08. Kangding Ray – OR
09. Obtane & Giorgio Gigli – Chemistry of human life (abstract narrative edit)
10. Donato Dozzy – Track 2
11. Xhin – Link (tool)
12. Donato Dozzy – In bed
13. Voices from The Lake (Donato Dozzy and Neel) – Drop 1
14. Endless – 0165 (tool) [Alex Tomb edit]
15. Stanislav Tolkachev – Blue mood (original mix)
16. Biosphere – Phantasm
17. Endless – SG8 (tool)
18. Jeff Mills – Consequences
19. Apparat – Song of Los
20. Apparat – A Bang in the Void
21. Patrice Baumel – Sub [Alex Tomb edit]
22. Xhin – Plexus (tool)
23. Audio Injection – Operation A (Speedy J Tripl tool)
24. Dadub – Metropolis (original mix)
25. Surgeon – Transparent radiation [Alex Tomb edit]
26. Ada – Faith [Alex Tomb edit]
27. Patrice Baumel – Mito
28. Oni Ayhun – OAR004-B [Alex Tomb edit]
29. Shackleton – Deadman [Alex Tomb edit]
30. Emika – Count backwards (Kryptic Minds remix) [Alex Tomb edit]
31. Apparat – Circles [Alex Tomb edit]
32. Ester Brinkmann – Maschine
33. Kangding Ray – Pruitt Igoe (Ben Frost demolition remix) [Alex Tomb edit]
34. Robert Henke – Crossing
35. Robert Henke – First contact
36. Kangding Ray – Odd sympathy [Alex Tomb edit]
37. Markus Suckut – Vary (Lucy tool)
38. Claudio PRC – Clear Depths (original mix)
39. Apparat – Ash/Black Veil