My first gigs were 12 hours long. Every Sunday from 1pm to 1am. “Afternoon Tea” it was called – in a bar in Cork called “The Roundy”.
That seems like a lifetime ago now. I just became a Dad and barely have time to complete my two hour monthly mix for Proton Radio. I was really looking forward to doing this mix as a kind of “what does music really mean to me kinda” thing. It started off very personal – tunes that aren’t even that good but just meant a lot to me – more about times and places than quality. I really enjoyed going through my old precious records and remembering the times when I played this or heard that for the first time. After I snapped out of my nostalgia it made me think more about the here and now, the difference between the two and the choices I’ve made.
So I made this mix with mostly unreleased or recently released music (except for 1 or 2 tracks, like the DFA & Marathon Men) to show where I am right now. Music is important to me. Very Important. I taught myself how to DJ in order to share music with people. But nothing is more important to me than my wife & son. I guess, in the end, this mix is for them because I wouldn’t be where I am without them.
(I wonder if he will like Ame when he grows up.)
01. Loco Dice – M train To Brooklyn // Desolat
02. John Daly – Solitaire // International
03. Still Going – Still Going Theme // DFA
04. Marathon Men – Sweet Exorcisr // GAMM
05. Manuel Tur – Deviate // Drumpoet Community
06. The Mole – Smiling & Running // Wagon Repair
07. Soultourist – Coming Soon // Drumpoet Community
08. Robytek – Luna Africana (Roland Appel Mix) // Rebirth
09. Henrik Schwarz – I Exist Because Of You (Dixon Mix) // Innervisions
10. Solomun – Deadman // Four Twenty
11. Gui Boratto – Tales From The Lab (Sian Mix) // Defrag
12. NuFrequency – Go That Deep (Charles Webster Mix) // Rebirth
13. Ame – Doldrums // Innervisions